A house fire in south Greenville was ruled accidental after investigators determined the fire, which led to the death of one individual, was caused by the misuse of smoking materials.
Greenville Fire/Rescue units, EMS 5 and Engine 3, were dispatched Saturday night to an unknown medical alarm call located at 4105 Cornwall Court, according to a GFR press release.
According to the press release, the first unit to respond to the medical emergency was EMS 5, who arrived on scene within approximately six minutes after checking enroute to the residential incident at around 6 p.m.
When GFR arrived to the scene, it tried to make contact with someone inside the residence, according to GFR’s press release. When EMS 5 approached the two-story brick residence, it noticed moderate smoke coming from inside the home.
EMS 5 returned to the ambulance after realizing the smoke then, according to the release, put on their safety equipment to make a quick entry into the home. Engine 3 was enroute for assistance and arrived on scene shortly after EMS 5.
The release states the officer in charge immediately asked Pitt County 911 to dispatch a full structure fire alarm. After an interior search of the home, the crew discovered a small fire which was quickly extinguished and located a person who was deceased inside the structure.
Engine 3 was enroute to respond to the medical alarm and was able to arrive on scene fairly quickly, according to the press release.
The fire was ruled as accidental due to the misuse of smoking materials, upon the completion of a joint investigation with GFR, the Greenville Police Department and the medical examiner’s office, according to the press release.